The ATC-74 report, Collaborative Recommended Requirements for Automatic Natural Gas Shutoff Valves in Italy, was funded by the Department of Civil Protection of Italy under the ATC-74 project. (Published 2007, 76 pages)
ABSTRACT: This report documents the results of a project initiated in 2007 to develop guidance and address issues related to the use in Italy of earthquake actuated automatic gas shutoff devices meeting U. S. standards. The report is collaborative recommendations are based on the perspectives and experience of specialists (from both countries) knowledgeable about the seismic performance of automatic gas shutoff valves and related policy issues.
This report contains:
- a description of the specific requirements in the then current Italian seismic code related to natural gas installations;
- a summary of the background information related to the development of requirements in the ASCE 25-97 Standard, Earthquake-Actuated Automatic Gas Shutoff Devices;
- a brief review of considerations and actions in the United States related to assuring adequate natural gas safety in earthquakes;
- background information for assessing issues related to the adoption of ASCE 25-97 as a standard for earthquake actuated automatic gas shutoff devices in Italy;
- recommendations pertaining to (a) new Italian seismic code provisions; (b) reducing existing post-earthquake fire risk; (c) valve qualification procedures; (d) multi-story buildings (higher than three stories); and (e) existing seismically vulnerable buildings; and
- appendices containing guidance regarding automatic gas shutoff devices meeting the requirements of Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations, two examples of California ordinances requiring automatic gas shutoff devices, and the California GovernorÍs Office of Emergency Services water heater restraint recommendations.